Emmanuel College Artist-in-Residence
Deadline: February 1
The Emmanuel College Art Department offers an eight-week artist residency to four artists each summer. The residency supports a diverse group of artists, providing time and space for established and emerging artists to develop their work.
However, the Art Department specifically aims to award a residency to one individual from each of the four categories: Ceramics, Photography, Printmaking and Social Justice. We strive to foster a supportive environment to achieve creative and artistic excellence. The residency also plays an important role in advancing the visual arts on the Emmanuel campus, providing an important educational program on contemporary art accessible to students, staff, and faculty. Residents should be willing to support and interact with each other, students, and faculty.
The residency defines Emmanuel College as a leader in the visual arts and brings greater visibility to that leadership role beyond the confines of the College.
- Artists must not be currently enrolled in any academic program.
- Residency is from mid June to mid August 2018
- Artists will receive a stipend of $1000 dollars and reimbursement for travel and visa up to an additional $1000.
- Lodging is provided in the college dorms or apartments, with access to a small kitchen
- Artists may be invited back to give a presentation or demo during the 2018/19 academic year. This will be based on teaching needs.
- Residents have access to communal college studio facilities with ample space sharing – ceramics, wood shop, print shop, darkroom, design lab and drawing studio.
- Artists must devote 3 hours to Emmanuel’s summer art history course, Contemporary Art and Artistic Practice, discussing their own process.
- Emmanuel will host a closing exhibition for all resident artists to participate in and show the larger community the end result of your work.
- Artists are responsible for all material and food costs during the residency.
- Artists will donate one piece to Emmanuel College at the end of the residency