Deadline: August 1
Saratoga Springs, NY
Yaddo is a retreat for artists located on a 400-acre estate in Saratoga Springs, New York. Its mission is to nurture the creative process by providing an opportunity for artists to work without interruption in a supportive environment.
Yaddo offers residencies to professional creative artists from all nations and backgrounds working in one or more of the following disciplines: choreography, film, literature, musical composition, painting, performance art, photography, printmaking, sculpture, and video. Artists may apply individually or as members of collaborative teams of two or three persons. They are selected by panels of other professional artists without regard to financial means. Residencies last from two weeks to two months and include room, board, and a studio. To protect the privacy of our guests, we do not allow or arrange visits to the private part of the estate. The Yaddo Gardens are free and open to the public year round.
Five admissions panels consider applications to Yaddo in the following disciplines:
- Literature, including fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, translation, and librettos
- Visual Art, including painting, drawing, sculpture, printmaking, photography, mixed media, and installation art
- Music Composition, including instrumental forms, vocal forms, electronic music, music for film, and sound art
- Performance, including choreography, performance art, multi-media and/or collaborative works incorporating live performance
- Film & Video, including narrative, documentary and experimental films, animation, and screenplays
Artists who qualify for Yaddo residencies are working at the professional level in their fields. An abiding principle at Yaddo is that applications for residency are judged on the quality of the artist’s work and professional promise. Yaddo accepts approximately 200 artists each year. There are no publication, exhibition, or performance requirements for application.
- Artists enrolled in graduate or undergraduate programs at the time of application are not eligible to apply to Yaddo.
- Artists may apply once every other calendar year. For example, if you applied in 2017 (January or August), you will be eligible to apply again in either January or August of 2019.